Location: All Locations
The Assurance Staff Accountant will become involved with all aspects of the assurance practice and the day-to-day activities of various engagements. Working in a team environment, he/she will use professional discretion in applying learned auditing procedures (under GAAS) necessary to perform audits or reviews of clients' financial statements. Responsible to apply specialized education in the fields of accounting and auditing with the application of professional independent judgment and skepticism.
- Be familiar with Firm's procedures, forms, and online research tools.
- Participate and provide input in planning meetings to help determine audit risks and develop substantive testing plans; perform substantive testing of account balances which support client financial statements to determine reliability of those financial statements.
- Use acquired relevant understanding of AICPA standards along with the Firm's quality control policies and procedures to apply professional judgment in the preparation and development of workpapers to support work completed during an audit or review.
- Assess prior year engagement (if applicable) and evaluate based on audit risk determinations made during the planning stages to execute the engagement plan in various areas including, but not limited to, cash, receivables, inventory, fixed assets, accounts payable, accrued expenses, revenue, and expense.
- Become proficient with firm software including ProSystem FX Engagement and IDEA.
- Responsible for monitoring actual time versus budgeted time for areas of responsibility.
- Work with clients and other team members to ensure information is delivered/received in a timely manner to complete the engagement while applying specialized training for the accounting industry.
- Identify and communicate issues that arise to the engagement team in a timely manner; communicate status of work appropriately.
- Accurately document the execution of specific review and audit procedures performed.
- Conduct oneself professionally as a representative of the Firm.
- Bring potential opportunities to the team or Partner's attention.
- Maintain and apply a healthy level of professional skepticism to help identify and deliver proper reporting and opinions on financial statements as applicable.
- Continue to work towards advancing technical knowledge and working knowledge of GAAP, GAAS and other relevant professional standards.
- Keep current on professional pronouncements (i.e. FASB/ASC pronouncements).
- Maintain annual CPE requirement.
- Properly track and charge time to appropriate codes (engagement, work-codes, etc.).
- Timely communicate to all members of engagement team and appropriate client personnel.
- Help identify and recruit quality candidates.
- Working beyond standards hours is expected throughout the year.
- Additional responsibilities, not listed above may be expected as needed.
- Basic technology skills, with proficiency in Excel, Word & PowerPoint required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to listen effectively.
- Work well under pressure and with a team; able to meet deadlines with accuracy.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving abilities are a must.
- Ability to work independently and exercise professional judgment while applying specialized proficiencies of a trained accountant.
- Team player with desire to be an active participant within the organization.
- Flexibility and openness to work on a variety of assignments; able to multi-task.
- Ability to learn processes quickly and be able to apply to jobs.
- Have a strong desire to maintain a customer service approach focused on exceeding expectations in all areas.
- 0 -3 years of relevant experience.
- BBA/BS/MS in Accounting from an accredited college or university (minimum of 150 college credits required).
- Must be a CPA or be eligible to sit for the CPA Exam.
Marcum LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Marcum LLP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other protected classification under the law.
Marcum offers our employees exceptional benefits. Periodic research is conducted to make sure we are at the forefront of the industry. Following are just some of the items in our benefit package:
- Competitive salary.
- Discretionary bonus program.
- CPA exam assistance and assistance with licensing fees.
- CPA bonus.
- Client referral bonus.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Paid personal time off.
- Career development program.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Life insurance.
- Supplemental insurance.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Flexible spending account.
- Retirement plan with a generous employer contribution.
- Continuing education assistance.