May 08, 2012
Ohio Department of Taxation Offers General Tax Amnesty Program
The Ohio Department of Taxation General Tax Amnesty Program commenced May 1, 2012 and lasts through June 15, 2012. This program offers a limited-time opportunity for Taxpayers to pay certain taxes without penalties or full interest. During the General Tax Amnesty Program, the Department is authorized to forgive all penalties and half the interest associated with unreported and underreported taxes that qualify under the program.
Taxes eligible for amnesty during this program include:
- Individual Income
- Individual School District Income
- Commercial Activity Tax (CAT)
- Sales and Seller’s Use (Please note: Consumer’s Use Tax is not eligible for the General Amnesty Program, but may qualify under the Consumer’s Use Tax Amnesty Program.
- Employer Withholding
- School District Employer Withholding
- Corporation Franchise
- Pass-Through Entity
- Gross Receipts of a Natural Gas Company or a combined Electric and Gas Company
- Motor Fuel
- Cigarette or Other Tobacco Products
- Dealers In Intangibles
Any tax not listed above and any tax for which the Department of Taxation has issued a billing or assessment notice, or on which an audit by the Department is under way, will not qualify for the Amnesty Program. The Amnesty program is available for all periods where the tax was due and payable as of May 1, 2011.
Applications, instructions, forms and interest calculator for the Amnesty Program can be found at www.ohiotaxamnesty.gov. Taxpayers will not be notified that the Department has received their application. However, the taxpayer will be sent a letter indicating the status - Approved or Denied - within 30 days after the application has been received.
For more information and to determine how this program may help you, contact your Marcum LLP Tax Advisor.