Find out more information about  
Fill out this form and a representative will contact you.
Captcha Image
Contact Us

For as long as I can remember I've traveled for business. It's usually an uneventful process, but Tuesday this week was the exception. I've been doing the JFK/LAX round trip about eight times a year since 2002. It's usually the same routine on the same flights: American flight #1 at 9am from JFK to LAX, and then return flight #118 at 7am from LAX to JFK. Tuesday there, Friday back home.

For those of you who remember Tuesday's weather in NYC, we had between 3-5 inches of snow. If you ask my older children, Isaac and Leo, they can attest to the fact that I've missed almost every major weather event in the NY area for as long as they can remember. Snow storms, hurricanes, earthquakes (yes, we've had one or two minor ones over the years) -- I've missed most. Not Tuesday morning. This time, I was on a 767 at JFK.

The day started out routinely enough. My wife Tracy nudged me at 6:08am, two minutes before my 6:10am alarm was set to go off. A quick shower, shave, kiss good-bye and a click of the UBER app on my iPhone, and it was off to JFK by 6:40am without waking my three sleeping young children, quite an accomplishment if I say so myself.

A quick 30-minute ride to JFK, on the phone the whole way with a client who really needed me (yes, at 6:40am). No snow in sight. An uneventful check-in at American and an equally uneventful trip through the TSA's Pre-Check line had me in the American Flagship Lounge by 7:30am. So far, so good. Still no snow.

By 8:30am it was time to board flight #1, and light snow flurries had started to fall. By the time the door closed just before 9am, the pilot announced they were going to de-ice the plane and taxi out to the runway. By 9:30am, we were #2 for take-off, and it looked like we were good to go, until the next announcement from the flight deck.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. As you can see out the windows, the snow has increased from moderate to heavy, so we're not able to take off at this time. We're going to head back to the gate, check with operations, and as soon as we can, head back out and take off."

So back to the gate we went. They kept us on the plane because "it looks like the storm is moving to the northeast, and we should be back underway shortly." Shortly turned out to be 11:15am, when the pilot got back on the PA and announced that "the weather has cleared enough for us to leave, but one of our taxi lights is out. Maintenance has been called, it should be just about 20 minutes and we'll be underway. Sorry for the inconvenience." About 11:40am the pilot was back. "All good to go ladies and gentlemen, just completing some paperwork and we'll be pushing back."

12:15pm. The pilot was back once more, saying "We've been waiting for a crew to push us back for over 30 minutes. The tower assures us one will be here momentarily." We finally pushed back at 12:25pm, got another quick de-icing, and as they say, were "wheels up" at 12:40pm, a full six hours after I left my apartment in NYC and 3 hours 40 minutes after our scheduled departure. Total flight time was projected at 5 hrs. 59 min., for a local arrival time at LAX of 3:40pm. I missed my 3pm meeting in Irvine, but at least I made my 6pm dinner.

So, every once in a while, the routine becomes the interesting. The good news is we took off without a hitch, everything that happened was out of anyone's control, and assuming it is not snowing in Los Angeles, you'll be reading this as I take off on flight #118 today, hopefully on time and uneventfully, for my trip back home.

Have a good weekend everyone!

P.S. We did land at 3:50pm LA time. We were taxiing when the pilot announced, "Welcome to Los Angeles. We are truly sorry about this morning's inconvenience. Our arrival gate is 46B but, as fate would have it, the gate is occupied, so it's going to be another 15 minutes or so before we can taxi to the gate. Please remain seated and thank you for flying American."

You really can't make some of this stuff up. We finally de-planed at 4:15pm LA time, 12 hours 35 minutes after I left home.

Go Back

The opinions expressed in this column are solely those of Jeffrey M. Weiner and do not represent those of Marcum LLP, its partners or its employees.

Meet Jeffrey M. Weiner
View Jeffrey Weiner's Profile View Profile
Download Jeffrey Weiner's Contact Card Download vCard
Connect with Jeffrey Weiner on LinkedIn Connect with Jeffrey Weiner
Follow Jeffrey Weiner on Twitter Follow Jeffrey Weiner
Subscription Preferences
Recent Posts
Change Is In the Air
Tradition of Service
Buckle Up
Because You Count
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013

New York
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Grand Cayman

Get in Touch

Get Connected
Privacy | Legal | Sitemap | Secure Mail