Gary Barron is a partner in the Firm's Tax & Business Services division, based in the Deerfield office, and a member of the High Net Worth Individuals Practice group. He joined Marcum in 2015 as a result of the Firm's merger with Frost, Ruttenberg, & Rothblatt P.C., one of the largest full-service accounting firms in the Chicago region.
Mr. Barron brings to Marcum over 35 years of tax management experience, having founded the tax department at FROST in 1983. He specializes in advising closely held businesses on complex state and federal tax regulations. He is in continual contact with his clients to make sure that new ventures are properly structured, advising management on the appropriate timing of acquisitions or sales to ensure the most advantageous tax result, as well as year-end tax-planning strategies. He has extensive experience dealing with the Appeals Division of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and has even had the opportunity to confer with a member of the Joint Committee on Taxation in Washington, D.C.Among his accomplishments, Mr. Barron:
- Filed a request for ruling with the National Office of the IRS which provided advantageous tax treatment for the beneficiaries of a major litigation trust fund.
- Settled a multimillion dollar IRS appeals case for a fraction of the initial assessment.
- Assisted a well-known public charity with obtaining retroactive tax-exempt status for the prior 20 years.
- Wrote a treatise in a tax appellate matter that resulted in the IRS's National Office issuing a Tax Advice Memorandum; the TAM was reported by all of the major tax research services.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Hanna Sacks Bais Yaakov High School - former Vice President
- Illinois CPA Society
- Joan Dachs Bais Yaakov Hebrew Day School - Past Treasurer
- Happy Birthday, 16th Amendment, Chicago Tribune (January 2013)
- What Would the Bard Say?, Chicago Tribune (January 2009)
- Message in This Bottle Is: You Can't Win, Chicago Tribune (June 2008)
- IRS Tax Code Worth Weight in Words, Chicago Tribune (January 2008)
- Is Public Accounting Seeing a Decline? You Do the Math, Crain's Chicago Business (April 2007)
Drafting Tax Court Petitions
Tax Advice Memoranda and
Ruling Requests with IRS
Tax Appellate Matters
Tax Penalty Abatement
Tax Protest Letters
Long-Term Care Facilities
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
Master of Science, Accounting