James Smart is a partner in Marcum's Philadelphia office and a member of the Firm's Advisory Services division. He additionally serves as Marcum's director of mergers and acquisitions. He came to Marcum in 2015 via the Firm's merger with Smart Devine, a leading full-service accounting firm which he founded in Philadelphia in 2010 and headed as CEO.
A native Philadelphian, Mr. Smart has been a visionary in accounting and business advisory services for over 25 years. Anticipating market needs and trends, he has strategically provided clients with practical accounting, tax and advisory services throughout his career.
Prior to Smart Devine, Mr. Smart founded Smart & Associates in 1988. Recognized as one of the fastest growing accounting firms in the country, it became the 21st largest accounting firm in the U.S. and fifth largest in Philadelphia. In May 2007, Mr. Smart led the sale of the firm for $120 million.
Accounting Today has recognized Mr. Smart numerous times as one of the 100 most influential people in the accounting profession. In December 2014, he was recognized with a Most Admired CEO award from Philadelphia Business Journal.
His entrepreneurial and humanitarian endeavors have brought him many awards, including the Eagles Fly for Leukemia Humanitarian Award and Beta Gamma Sigma Lifetime Leadership Award from La Salle University.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- LaSalle University, Board of Trustees
- Malvern Preparatory School, Former Trustee
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Saint Joseph's University, Adjunct Professor of Accounting - Advanced Taxation
- Saint Joseph's Preparatory School, Former Trustee
- Articles in Accounting News Report, Accounting Today, Public Accounting Report, Philadelphia Business Journal, Philadelphia Inquirer, Practical Accountant, Crain's, and Public Accounting Report
- Numerous seminars on business planning and industry trends and on business and financial planning
Governance & Compliance
Mergers & Acquisitions
LaSalle University School of Business
- 2014 Philadelphia Business Journal Most Admired CEO
- 2009 Beta Gamma Sigma Lifetime Leadership Award, La Salle University
- 2005 Eagles Fly for Leukemia Humanitarian Award
- 2002 Devon-Berwyn Business of the Year Award
- 2000 Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry, Small Business Leader of the Year