Lisa Cosentino is a partner in Marcum's Philadelphia office and a member of the Firm's Advisory Services division and Insurance Industry Practice group. She came to Marcum in 2015 via the Firm's merger with Smart Devine, a leading full-service accounting firm in Philadelphia.
Ms. Cosentino has over 30 years serving as auditor, consultant, and officer to the insurance industry. She helps insurance companies that are frustrated with the cost and administrative burden of meeting regulatory requirements. She is a seasoned executive with extensive experience in designing and executing external audits on both statutory and GAAP financial statements and applying a holistic approach to assessing risk and its impact on the organization for a variety of insurance companies. Companies include life & health, managed care, property & casualty, workers' compensation, professional liability, and stock, mutual, self-insured funds, risk retention groups, and captives.
Lisa has assisted numerous companies in the development and improvement of internal audit departments, redesigning financial reporting policies and procedures, structuring and implementing enterprise risk management programs and procedures, development and execution of risk-based internal audit plans, fraud prevention and detection programs, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and evaluation of operational and financial reporting internal controls. She has assisted companies in evaluating their model audit rule approach and streamlining their SOX approach including reduction of significant processes, key controls and testing plans. She has assisted in the development of the audit approach for regulatory financial examinations as well as the training of Florida Department of Insurance financial examiners.
Prior to joining Smart Devine, Ms. Cosentino served as a senior manager in the areas of internal and external audit for insurance industry clients. She also was the director of internal audit for the Philadelphia office of a global professional services provider, serving as their insurance industry subject matter expert. She began her career with a “Big 4” accounting firm, where she spent over 10 years as auditor and consultant. She has had her own practice providing litigation support services and has also held the position of controller and interim-CFO for several insurance companies.
She has served as testifying and consulting expert on numerous insurance company and other litigation matters including consulting expert for the Insurance Department Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, US Attorney in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and participation on the litigation support team providing services to the Florida Department of Insurance.
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- "A Consolidated Approach to Meeting Regulatory Requirements," whitepaper, October 2014
- "The Model audit Rule - It´s Not SOX, But it Has a Punch!" Small Talk, Society of Actuaries, Smaller Insurance Company Section, Issue 34, June 2010, co-authored with Phil Ferrari
- The New A.M. Best Cyber Questionnaire, PAMIC Western and Eastern Conferences, October 2015
- Corporate Governance & Risk Management, PAMIC Financial Management Conference, September 2015, presented with Annette Szady, PA Department of Insurance, & Kevin Tate, The Philadelphia Contributionship
- ORSA Part 3 - Understanding Modeling & Stress Testing, IASA Educational Conference & Business Show, June 2015, co-presented with Kim Piersol, Huggins Actuarial Services
- ERM & the New Regulatory Requirements - A Consolidated Approach, IASA Educational Conference & Business Show, June 2015, co-presented with Kim Piersol, Huggins Actuarial Services
- The Impact of the Current Health Care Reform on the Role of Internal Audit, BCBSA Internal Audit, Anti-Fraud and Ethics, Privacy and Security Conference, May 2010
- Impact of Health Reform on Internal Audit, International Accounting Systems Association, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, April 2010
- Overview of International Financial Reporting Standards, Smart & Attolon CPE Seminar, November 2009
- The NAIC´s Annual Financial Reporting Model Regulation Revisions and Overview, International Accounting Systems Association, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, October 2009
- Overview and Update on the NAIC´s Annual Financial Reporting Model Regulation, International Accounting Systems Association, Mid- Pacific Northwest Chapter, November 2008
- The Impact of the Presidential Election on the Insurance Industry, Maryland Chapter of the Society of Financial Examiner, October 2008
- Sarbanes Oxley and Section 404, BCBSA Tax Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2007
- ROI on Corporate Governance & Compliance, International Accounting Systems Association, Seattle, Washington, 2007
- Model Audit Rule, Columbus, Ohio and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2007
- Quality Assurance Reviews, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, 2006
Enterprise Risk Management
Fraud Prevention and Detection
Operational and Financial Reporting
Programs and Procedures
Risk-based External and Internal Audits
Life & Health
Property & Casualty
Risk Retention Groups
Stock, Mutual, Self-Insured Funds
Master of Accountancy (MACC), Tax Concentration
University of North Florida
Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA)
University of North Florida