James Ashe is partner-in-charge of the Firm's Advisory Services division and national leader of the Forensics Practice group, as well as a member of its Marital Dissolution and Valuation Services Practice groups.
With more than 20 years of diverse forensic accounting experience and 15 years of tax experience in both international and regional accounting firms, Mr. Ashe has the unique ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of business operations, structure and evaluate specific transactions, and work with litigants and legal counsel on liability and damage aspects of legal actions. He has been retained for both consulting and expert witness engagements, particularly ownership disputes, breach of contract, intangible asset related cases (patent infringement, trade secrets, customer lists), fraud investigations, professional malpractice and other types of forensic analysis.
Mr. Ashe's national reputation earns him appointments by financial institutions, insurance carriers, government agencies and other interested third parties to "look behind and beyond the numbers" to uncover mismanagement or financial fraud, calculate damages associated with wrongful acts or losses, establish the basis and amounts of restitution, and seek and assist counsel in government claims.
Mr. Ashe also has been appointed by various courts to perform special investigations and to assist as a receiver and a neutral. He is a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics (MAFF), a credential held by only approximately 500 professionals in the United States.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Litigation Services Committee, Nassau County Chapter, Former Chairman
- LEA/Leading Edge Alliance; Business Valuation/Litigation Services
- Special Interest Group
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- AICPA FVS Consulting Digest, Editorial Board
- The Rafael Brenner Ashe Foundation
- Family Service League, Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Turnaround Management Association, Former Board Member
- Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce, Former Board Member
- Litigation Report Writing, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2014
- Risk Management in Forensic Litigation and Valuation Service Engagements, Leading Edge Alliance, 2011
- Identifying Vulnerabilities & Addressing Corporate Fraud – Life After Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns, 2010
- Working Effectively With Forensic Accountants, Nassau Bar Association, 2009
- Ponzi Schemes – Lessons Learned for Auditors and Taxperts, The Leading Edge Alliance, 2009
- Valuation in Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Rivkin Radler LLP, 2009
- Liabilities, Recovery and Damages for Madoff Victims, Infovest 21, 2009
Boards of Directors
Court Appointed Neutrals
Master of Business Administration Accounting
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology
Fairleigh Dickinson University
June 28, 2016
Advisory Services Partner-in-Charge Jim Ashe and Family Wealth Services Partner-in-Charge Carolyn Mazzenga talked with Forbes podcaster Alli Breen about the accounting business, for her series Uncommon Ground.
In episode 7 of “Uncommon Ground,” Carolyn Mazzenga, the Partner-in-Charge of the Melville, New York office, and Jim Ashe, Partner-in-Charge of the Firm’s Advisory Services ....
January 24, 2016
James Ashe, partner-in-charge of Advisory Services and national leader of Marcum's forensics practice, discusses how to protect against embezzlement with MSNBC's JJ Ramberg on "Your Business."
Embezzlement is a sad reality for some small business owners. Many entrepreneurs have fallen victim regardless of their involvement in the day to day operations ....
The U.S. economy is back; well kind-of. While we're not talking about the expansion witnessed through 1998-1999, the U.S. economy is gaining momentum after a ....
In October 2014, the New York Supreme Court decided two cases in which discounts for lack of marketability played a significant role. These cases ....
May 19, 2014
Article Authored by James Ashe, Partner-in-Charge, Advisory Services, Stephen Lassar, Tax & Business Services Partner and Daniel Roche, Advisory Services Manager, "Valuing Publicity Rights and Other Intangible Assets of Authors"
The "Right of Publicity" is in the news again, this time in regards to the high-profile "image and likeness" asset of Michael Jackson. One of ....
The American Institue of Certified Public Accountants launched a new mentoring program in March, as many accounting firms look to grow their forensic practices.
Virtually anyone who read the news in the last four years knows the name Madoff.Not only did the story of Bernard Madoff’s Ponzi scheme dominate ....
James T. Ashe’s encounter with Hollywood as a numberscrunching gumshoe started out with a big heist and ended with the suspecttaking the big sleep.
In the article, Mr. Ashe said, “And even when there are records to work with, they may not always be reliable. For that reason, Giddens ....
James Ashe, Partner-in-Charge, Advisory Services, was interviewed on "Morning Edition" on National Public Radio regarding the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing of AMR Corp., the parent company ....
James Ashe, Partner-in-Charge, Advisory Services, was interviewed on “The Hays Advantage” on Bloomberg Radio regarding the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing of AMR Corp., the parent company ....
Topic: White Collar Crimes: Do Not Be a Victim