Key Coleman is a director in Marcum's Philadelphia office and a member of the Firm's Advisory Services division and Insurance Industry Practice group. He came to Marcum in 2015 via the Firm's merger with Smart Devine, a leading full-service accounting firm in Philadelphia.
Mr. Coleman has over 25 years of experience providing business and financial analysis in the insurance and reinsurance industry. He focuses on forensics, dispute analysis, damages and expert testimony for clients that often include insurance companies, reinsurers and insurance attorneys.
Formerly, Mr. Coleman held high-level positions in the disputes practices of two Chicago accounting firms. Prior to that, he was a partner at a Big Four" firm, where for more than 11 years he provided forensic and dispute analysis in matters involving insurers, reinsurers, brokers, insolvent insurance company receivers, Third Party Administrators (TPAs) and Managing General Agencies (MGAs). Mr. Coleman began his career in industry, where he worked more than eight years in reinsurance and direct underwriting management.
He is often called upon to calculate damages relating either to insurance or non-insurance disputes. In addition, he performs inspections of MGAs, TPAs, ceding companies and insureds. Mr. Coleman has performed expert services on matters ranging from insurance to intellectual property. He has written numerous expert reports and provided expert testimony at deposition and arbitration.
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- CFA Institute
- CFA Society of Chicago
- CPCU Society, Philadelphia Chapter
- Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (PICPA)
- "The Polar Vortex," – moderator for joint presentation with the law firm of Reed Smith, Jan. 2014
- Risk Management Magazine, "The Effect of a Hardening Workers Compensation Market," – Key Coleman and Fred Kohm, Nov. 1, 2013
- AIRROC Matters, "AIRROC's Dispute Resolution Process (DRP)," – Spring 2013
- Sidley Austin LLP, expert in Mock Trial, Chicago, IL, March 2012
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP, panelist for litigation training on the use experts, Princeton, NJ, May 2011
- Brokers & Reinsurance Markets Association (BRMA), expert witness in Mock Arbitration, Princeton, NJ, April 2011
- Foley Insurance Economic Summit, speaker, Chicago, IL, October 2010
- Society of Insurance Financial Management (SIFM), "Preparing for and Responding to a Market Conduct Exam," – presenter, New York, June 2010
- Risk and Insurance, "Taking Stock" – (insurance rate trends), March 2010
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), "Litigation Trends in Insurance and Reinsurance," – (presentation given jointly with the law firm of Pepper Hamilton), Malvern, PA, November 2009
- Foley Insurance Economic Summit, speaker, Chicago, April 2009
- Mr. Coleman has been interviewed by the news media and quoted in Best's Review, Business Insurance, Dow Jones Newswires, Global Insurance Bulletin, Inside Mortgage Trends, National Underwriter, Reactions, Risk and Insurance and Risk Management Magazine.
Lost Profits/Damages Analysis
Managing General Agencies (MGAs)
University of the South
Graduate Level Accounting Courses