Robert Mercado is a Partner in the Assurance Services division and serves as the New England Regional Construction Leader. He has more than 20 years of experience conducting, reviewing and analyzing financial information for construction contractors, manufacturers and service corporations.
As a Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional, Rob Mercado has an expertise in troubleshooting problem job performance for construction projects and recommending practices to enhance profitability. He has considerable experience with construction claims matters and has provided litigation support services in this area. In addition, he is knowledgeable with systems analysis and with the tailoring of accounting software to meet clients' needs.
Mr. Mercado is a frequent speaker on accounting and auditing matters for construction companies, industry organizations and professional development courses. He has been acknowledged in several publications of the AICPA's Audit and Accounting Guide – Construction Contractors and AICPA's Audit Risk Alert - Real Estate and Construction Industry Developments.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants (CTCPA), Real Estate/Construction Committee
- Associated Subcontractors of Massachusetts, Inc., Meetings and Programs Committee
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Connecticut
- Clifford W. Beers Guidance Clinic, Treasurer
- Construction Auditing & Accounting Workshop, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Construction Accounting Update, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2013
- New Revenue Recognition Standards Require Contractors to Think Differently, Construction Accounting and Taxation, February 2015
- Best Practices in Accounting Part 1 and 2, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2012
- Disclosures as presented in the AICPA A+A Guide - Construction Contractors and the AICPA Risk Alert for Construction Contractors, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2012
- Where do you cross the line from a review to an audit?, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2011
- Maximizing Credit in a Dow in Economy, CFMA, 2010
- Understanding Your Financial Position, The Professional Contractor, Third Quarter, 2009
- Understanding the Benefits of Joint Ventures, The Professional Contractor, Second Quarter 2009
- Worst Case Scenario: How Contractors Can Survive the Historic Economic Downturn, The Professional Contractor, First Quarter 2009
- Construction Contractor Ratios: How Are They Calculated and What Do They Mean?, Journal of Construction Accounting and Taxation, September/October 2008
- Understanding Your Financial Position, Associated Subcontractors of Massachusetts, 2008
Bachelor of Science, Accounting and Computer Science
40 Under 40 Award, New Haven Business Times, 2002
Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional
February 09, 2015
Article by Robert Mercado, Assurance Services Partner & James Miller, Assurance Services Sr. Manager, "New Revenue Recognition Standards Require Contractors to Think Differently," Featured in Construction Accounting and Taxation
After nearly 1,000 comment letter s, with 350 letters from the construction industry alone, the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards ....