The Marcum 2016 Year-End Tax Guide continues our tradition of providing timely tax guidance for the upcoming year.
Marcum's SEC and Large Corporate Tax Compliance and Planning Group handles all aspects of tax compliance and planning for public companies and large corporate clients. Group members work directly with clients, and other tax advisory groups, to help minimize their tax liability as well as assisting them in complying with all applicable federal and state tax law. The Group, in conjunction with other tax advisory groups, has provided a multitude of tax services for multi-subsidiary consolidated entities, which includes assistance with various multi-state and multinational consolidated tax issues.
Marcum's SEC and Large Corporate Tax Compliance and Planning Group members have extensive experience in SEC and large corporate tax matters. Collectively, the Group offers more than 100 years of experience related to tax services provided to these types of clients. Its members pursue varying continuing education courses to stay current on the tax issues affecting their clients, including attending both national and local tax seminars.
With client service being one of Marcum's main goals, professionals in the group work directly with the Firm's Commercial Assurance Department in an effort to provide seamless client service. These two Groups, along with other tax advisory groups, regularly work together to identify and address various client issues from both an audit and tax perspective, including for example, how transactions may be reported differently for audit and tax purposes, i.e. a tax-free reorganization/acquisition, and the resulting effects on the client’s financial statement disclosure.
- Preparation of tax returns for large, consolidated, domestic, multi-state and multinational returns.
- Assistance in determining optimal tax strategies for acquiring or disposing of a business in either a taxable or non-taxable transaction as well as providing assistance with associated due diligence.
- Tax planning with respect to state and local issues such as nexus, combined vs. separate reporting, sourcing of income, allocation and apportionment.
- Assistance with federal, state and local audits of tax filings.
- Preparation of Sec. 280G golden parachute computations.
- Preparation of documentation and analysis for complex corporate and consolidated return issues including (1) Earnings and profits studies; (2) Sec. 382 change in control analysis and the related impact on net operating loss utilization; and (3) Reg. 1.1502-28 consolidated reduction of tax attributes pursuant to Sec. 108 discharge of indebtedness income.
- Outsourced tax department services including the preparation of ASC 740, Accounting for Income Tax, calculations and the related financial statement disclosures.
- Consulting related to compensation issues including Sec. 409A, qualified and nonqualified stock options and other forms of compensation.
- Assistance in the implementation of tax processes and technology tools.