Executive Director – Moveable Feast
Moveable Feast seeks an inspirational and experienced leader to serve as Executive Director for this 31-year-old nonprofit serving central Maryland and the Eastern Shore. The Executive Director will provide strategic direction, focus, and long-term vision for the organization.
The mission of Moveable Feast is to provide medically-tailored home-delivered meals, medical nutrition therapy, and other vital services to people living with HIV, cancer, and other serious illnesses for which nutrition is a key part of health. Our vision is to FEED people, FIGHT disease and FOSTER hope. We value compassion in the pursuit of our responsibilities, and aspire to maintain the highest level of quality and integrity in our services and products. We believe that all people deserve to live in an atmosphere of hope.
The organization was begun in 1989 by seven people who wanted to serve homebound individuals living with AIDS in Baltimore City. During the 1990s, we spread to surrounding jurisdictions, eventually serving 15 of Maryland’s 24 counties. In the 2000s and 2010s, we expanded our mission to address the needs of people struggling with a range of serious chronic illnesses. We are the only provider of free, medically tailored meals for people with HIV, cancer, renal disease, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and other devastating conditions. We serve those most in need, especially in jurisdictions where other options are limited or unavailable.
Moveable Feast’s current annual budget is approximately $5M. We have over 4,000 volunteers who contribute over 30,000 hours each year. We served over 650,000 meals to over 4,000 clients in 2019. We have 35 employees, and a 17-member Board of Directors. For more information, see https://www.mfeast.org
- Medical Nutrition Therapy – Our dieticians and chefs create medically tailored menus for each client, consisting of nutritious and tasty meals to help them strengthen their bodies to fight their disease.
- Home Delivered Meals – We deliver meals right to our client’s doorsteps, removing barriers to eating right. Our service allows people to thrive at home while fighting a wide range of serious chronic illnesses.
- Community Partner Meals – We partner with other community organizations serving people in need, delivering meals to drop-in centers, homeless shelters, and other locations. Our partners include Susan G. Komen, Kelly’s Dream, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Youth Empowered Society (YES), and others.
- Medical Transportation – We offer free door-to-door transportation services for our HIV clients to attend their medical appointments.
- Garden – Volunteers and staff grow fruits and vegetables used in our client meals. Our garden helps brings us closer to our goal of providing fresh, natural, and local foods for all the people we serve.
The Executive Director must be an inspiring and visionary leader who can ensure that the organization fulfills its mission, lives its values, and implements a strategic plan for success. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership of the organization, and must be an outstanding relationship builder, fundraiser, and communicator who will build on our current successes and continue our growth trajectory. In the era of the Food is Medicine movement, the Executive Director must be prepared to quantify the impact of Moveable Feast on its clients’ health, and to collaborate with medical care systems and payors, in addition to more traditional nonprofit partners. This position requires strong leadership skills, fiscal stewardship, development expertise, and the ability to effectively engage clients, staff, volunteers, the Board, and the community. Most of all, it requires genuine passion for Moveable Feast’s mission.
Leadership Near-Term Priorities
The executive director provides leadership both inside and outside the organization, continually increasing Moveable Feast’s mission impact. Toward these ends, our near-term priorities for the next 12-18 months include:
- Thoroughly understand Moveable Feast – its history, values, mission, programs, finances, fundraising, structure and challenges
- Articulate a clear strategic vision and plan, in collaboration with Board and staff
- Establish relationships and build trust with all Moveable Feast stakeholders, including Board, staff, funders, partners, volunteers, and clients
- Optimize fundraising practices and contracted services to maximize a range of revenue streams
- Strengthen the organization’s financial position, and facilitate future growth
- Communicate regularly and effectively with all the organization’s stakeholders
- Continue developing a culture of accountability, including regular feedback loops throughout the organization
- Position the organization to facilitate future relationships with health care systems, insurers, advocacy groups, and other medical organizations
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide leadership to the organization and manage its day-to-day affairs. Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop a clear vision and strategy to achieve the mission
- Serve as the face and voice of the organization
- Foster effective teamwork
- Identify, evaluate, and mitigate risks to the organization
- Manage, inspire and excite Board, staff and donors about mission and programming
- Supervise the performance and activities of the Directors of Operations, Finance and Development
- Ensure that all departments operate in an efficient and effective manner to achieve the mission of the organization
- Oversee essential support functions for the organization, such as human resources and information technology
Development and Fundraising
- Serve as the face of moveable Feast in the community, effectively conveying priorities and advocating for financial support
- Provide oversight and accountability for all fundraising efforts, and garner support and enthusiasm for established fundraising events, like Ride for the Feast and Dine out for Life
- Provide strong leadership and direction to optimize existing revenue streams; and identify and manage other funding opportunities, including Ryan White, government and foundation grants, and individual giving
- Identify new funding streams that contribute to organizational growth
- Provide for a robust volunteer recruitment, retention and appreciation program
- Budget resources effectively, and in accordance with established budget
- Monitor operations to ensure optimal efficiency
- Direct development of the annual budget, monitor financial status, report on progress and take corrective action, as necessary.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all federal, state and local regulations
- Maintain appropriate and adequate insurance coverage for the organization and Board
- Connect effectively with all stakeholders, including clients, volunteers, staff, the Board, and the community as a whole
- Demonstrate compassion and humility in all organizational interactions
- Represent the organization and its mission in an inspiring manner through public speaking, special events and publications
- Cooperate effectively with coalitions of service providers
- Maximize advocacy opportunities, including communication with local, state and federal legislators, and testimony at public hearings as appropriate
Board of Directors
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and its committees
- Promptly inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Recommend appropriate policy decisions for approval by the Board of Directors
- Assist the Board in identifying, recruiting, and orienting new Directors
- Regularly report metrics regarding program implementation, financial status, and development progress
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will share our passion for Moveable Feast’s mission, and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to the organization, including:
- Inspiring leadership that energizes stakeholders around the organization’s vision;
- Ability to develop a clear strategic plan and implement it effectively;
- Accountability to the organization, as well as its clients, partners, and Board;
- Responsible stewardship of resources and reputation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including respect and compassion for others, approachability, gravitas, and comfort in leading difficult conversations when necessary;
- Ability to build a strong network of connections with fellow organizations, funders, volunteers, and community groups;
- Demonstrated success at raising funds and developing partnerships;
- Public relations skills that will enhance the visibility and reach of Moveable Feast;
- Experience with and commitment to integrating diversity, equity and inclusion principles into an organization’s culture;
- Proven business and financial acumen, with experience developing and managing budgets of at least $5M, as well as demonstrated success in maintaining fiscal stability;
- Experience, ability, and desire to lead an organization through change and growth;
- Intellectual curiosity, rapid learning, and ability to grow through self-reflection;
- Professionalism and integrity;
- Five to seven years of executive-level experience in a like-sized organization, or 10 years of deputy-level experience in a larger organization, including evidence of progressively responsible positions;
- Master’s in business, public administration, public health, nonprofit management, or related field preferred. Equivalent experience may substitute; and
- Knowledge of the Baltimore nonprofit landscape is a plus.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, upload resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking here*. For other inquiries, contact Adrienne O’Rourke.
Resume reviews begin immediately, with an intention to have the next Executive Director named in June.