Vice President for Real Estate Development – Wesley Housing Development Corporation
Wesley Housing is looking for an entrepreneurial and skilled senior leader to support and advance our rapidly growing real estate development portfolio. Kamilah McAfee, who previously led the real estate development team, is moving into the President and CEO role on January 2, 2023.
Wesley Housing is a nonprofit community housing developer whose mission is to develop, own, operate, preserve, and maintain affordable housing and sustain quality communities for low- and moderate-income families and individuals across the Washington, D.C. region. The heart and soul of Wesley Housing’s mission lies in our commitment to combine affordable housing with family programs and supportive services to foster positive development and self-sufficiency for all adults, children, and families. Wesley Housing’s headquarters are located in Alexandria, VA (Fairfax County). Our apartment communities are located throughout the Washington, D.C. metro region.
Wesley Housing, a leading nonprofit developer in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia, has been working to provide affordable rental housing for individuals and families for nearly 50 years. Since its founding, Wesley Housing has emerged as a premier developer of affordable housing. Wesley Housing has acquired or developed over 2,800 rental units, providing quality housing for thousands of at-risk persons each year. Wesley Housing supplements housing with supportive services to build up the lives of residents, including low- and moderate-income families, older adults, and individuals with disabilities and/or chronic disease.
Wesley Housing has a unique perspective on real estate development and focuses on a broad array of projects. Recent projects range from 30 to 200 units and include partnerships with tenants, churches, and local governments. Wesley Housing’s developments always feature a people-first approach. Wesley Housing has experienced unprecedented growth in the last 5 years with 7 projects consisting of 571 units delivering Q4 of 2022 and another 7+ projects estimated at 800 units in the pipeline to close and come online in the next 5 years. To support the volume of new projects, the real estate development team has grown from 4 to 10 staffers.
Wesley Housing’s success has garnered national recognition as one of Affordable Housing Finance’s “Top 50 Affordable Housing Developers of 2020” and regional accolades as the 2022 Housing Association of Nonprofit Developers (HAND) “Developer of the Year.” In 2020, the Virginia Housing Governor’s Conference named Wesley’s Housing Stability Initiative “Best Housing Program or Service,” a testament to the commitment and care team members extend to residents.
For more information, please visit www.wesleyhousing.org.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President of Real Estate Development leads real estate development efforts for Wesley Housing. This role leads comprehensive outreach to generate new development opportunities for Wesley Housing, including acquisition, renovation, and land development for new construction of affordable residential housing. He/she/they also guides Real Estate Development department operations and leads a 10-person team of real estate and construction project managers. Through effective leadership, motivation, and communication, the Vice President plans and directs the activities of Real Estate Development staff to facilitate team cohesion and the achievement of short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Oversees development of Wesley Housing properties, assets, and investments
- Manages Real Estate Development operations including policies, procedures, staffing, training and resource management
- As a member of the senior leadership team, assists the CEO, CFO, and Controller in strategic planning and budgeting
- Supervises, guides, and monitors the progress of the Real Estate Development team in the development and execution of short- and long-term objectives for the acquisition and development of affordable housing projects
- Prepares and evaluates project feasibility and makes recommendations to the CEO, CFO, and Board for advancing projects
- Ensures the preparation and maintenance of project performance metrics including predevelopment budgets, development budgets, construction costs, operating budgets, and project timelines
- Assists in the preparation of proposals for grants, subsidies and/or other economic benefits in support of Wesley Housing’s real estate development activities
- Networks with the housing community to facilitate and advocate for increased preservation and production of affordable housing
- Researches and plans for the implementation of new housing concepts and product areas for Wesley Housing
- Provides staff support to the Real Estate Development Committee and prepares and submits reports to the Board of Directors
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program is required
- Strong financial analysis, organizational, oral, and written communication and negotiating skills are essential
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to navigate the demands of both internal and external stakeholders and the ability to adjust to the audience
- Excellent project management and development skills including creating ambitious yet realistic project plans, coordinating projects and teams, communicating progress and changes, and completing projects on-time and on-budget
- Demonstrated ability to collaboratively and successfully lead and mentor a high-achieving team
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local housing programs and rules and regulations preferred
- Experience with non-profit organizations preferred
- Ability to view real estate development projects in the broader organizational context
- Familiarity with and relationships in Northern Virginia/DC Metro Region affordable housing programs and markets preferred
- Eight or more years of progressive experience in successful affordable housing development, finance, construction, asset management, or property management is required
- Minimum of two years managing a team of professionals, preferably with some experience in a hybrid work environment
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions regarding the recruitment, selection, hiring, compensation, and promotion of candidates and staff will be made without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.
To apply, upload a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF resume and cover letter, which conveys your interest in this leadership opportunity, to our Application Portal. For other inquiries, contact Peggy Sand. Resume reviews begin immediately.
If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please also email Peggy Sand should you require a reasonable accommodation to complete your application or want additional information about the physical requirements of the job.
Information about salary and benefits is available upon request. All employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been approved for a medical or religious exemption.