Advisory - New York
James Ashe is the partner-in-charge of Advisory Services in the Firm’s New York office. He has more than 20 years of diverse accounting experience and 15 years of tax experience in both international and regional accounting firms.
Mr. Ashe has the unique ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of business operations, structure and evaluate specific transactions, and work with litigants and legal counsel on liability and damage aspects of legal actions. He has been retained for both consulting and expert witness engagements, particularly ownership disputes, breach of contract, intangible asset-related cases (patent infringement, trade secrets, customer lists), fraud investigations, professional malpractice, and other types of forensic analysis.
Mr. Ashe’s national reputation earns him appointments by financial institutions, insurance carriers, government agencies, and other interested third parties to “look behind and beyond the numbers” to uncover mismanagement or financial fraud, calculate damages associated with wrongful acts or losses, establish the basis and amounts of restitution, and seek and assist counsel in government claims.
Mr. Ashe also has been appointed by various courts to perform special investigations and to assist as a receiver and a neutral. He is a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics (MAFF), a credential held by approximately 500 professionals in the United States.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Litigation Services Committee, Nassau County Chapter, Former Chairman
- LEA/Leading Edge Alliance; Business Valuation/Litigation Services, Special Interest Group
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- AICPA FVS Consulting Digest, Editorial Board
- The Rafael Brenner Ashe Foundation
- Family Service League, Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Turnaround Management Association, Former Board Member
- Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce, Former Board Member
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Litigation Report Writing, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2014
- Risk Management in Forensic Litigation and Valuation Service Engagements, Leading Edge Alliance, 2011
- Identifying Vulnerabilities & Addressing Corporate Fraud — Life After Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns, 2010
- Working Effectively With Forensic Accountants, Nassau Bar Association, 2009
- Ponzi Schemes — Lessons Learned for Auditors and Taxperts, The Leading Edge Alliance, 2009
- Valuation in Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Rivkin Radler LLP, 2009
- Liabilities, Recovery and Damages for Madoff Victims, Infovest 21, 2009