Tax & Business
Jill Scher is a partner in the Tax & Business Services division of Marcum LLP in the Melville office and a business developer for the Firm. With more than 25 years of public and private experience, she has an outstanding reputation for developing strong relationships and uses her diverse experience, technical proficiency, and problem-solving skills to consult with a wide range of businesses and industries.
Ms. Scher advises on tax minimization and deferral strategies for companies and their owners and is very adept at recognizing tax and credit incentive opportunities, including research & development, work opportunity tax credits, and investment tax credits, to name a few. She also provides tax services for foreign companies with operations in the United States and assists domestic companies with operations overseas. She advises clients about tax ramifications prior to potential transactions and has helped numerous clients with the successful abatement of IRS and State penalties.
Ms. Scher is also responsible for business development for the Firm, forging new relationships and building business through her network of resources within and outside of the Firm, to assist in all aspects of client needs.
In addition, she speaks frequently to professional and industry organizations on a variety of business and tax topics. Ms. Scher teaches tax, technical and professional ethics classes for an outside organization, CPE, Inc., providing continuing education to CPAs within the tristate area on individual and business tax planning and other specialty areas of taxation.
This commitment to technical excellence culminated in several industry awards. Ms. Scher also is very involved in the Half Hollow Hills community and volunteers her time with education and community-minded not-for-profit organizations.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Former Chair, Nassau Chapter Attorney and Accountant Networking Committee
- Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe, Executive Finance Committee
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Accounting and Tax Panel, CanXpo, 2022
- Nuances of the Cannabis Debt Market, Benzinga Capital Conference, 2022
- NY Gets a Green Light for Cannabis, Schneps Media, 2022
- Investing in Women in the Cannabis Process, Roth Capital, 2021
- R&D Tax Credit is an Untapped Resource in the Cannabis Industry, Marcum LLP, 2021