John McCarthy is a partner in the Firm’s Boston, Massachusetts office. John has experience providing audit and financial reporting services to public and private companies, with a specialty in real estate including Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). He is also knowledgeable in the fields of hospitality and not-for-profits.
John has been involved in initial Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registrations, including those of Special Purpose Acquistion Companies (SPACs), as well as ongoing SEC reporting and compliance issues. He also performs audits under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), and performs peer reviews of other accounting firms. Additionally, John serves as an instructor for a variety of continuing professional education seminars and currently is a member of the Firm’s task force on the new Lease Accounting Standard.
Prior to joining Marcum, John was a senior manager at a large regional accounting firm in New England where he served as a member of the assurance service committee, led the Firm’s internal inspection program, and trained staff on various audit and accounting topics.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants (MassCPAs)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Treasurer, Meridian Academy
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
- Real Estate Finance Association (REFA)
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Going Public: The Ins and Outs for REITs, NAIOP’s Development Magazine, Winter 2015/2016