National Leader, Nonprofit and Social Sector
Thomas Raffa is the national leader of Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group. Mr. Raffa came to Marcum via the Firm’s merger with Raffa, P.C., one of the nation’s preeminent public accounting and business consulting firms, specializing in nonprofits. He founded Raffa in 1984 and grew the firm into one of the 100 largest and best-managed accounting firms in the U.S.
A recognized pioneer in social enterprise, Mr. Raffa’s professional and volunteer support of nonprofits has garnered him numerous awards, including the 2016 Individual Making a Difference Award from The Nonprofit Village, the Volunteer Achievement Award from the Accountants for the Public Interest, and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Alliance for Nonprofit Management.
His current Board roles include, the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra (Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee and member of the Executive Committee), Social Impact 360 (Founding Member and Chair of the Board), the Mental Health Coalition (Founding Member) and the Park City Community Foundation (Chair of the Governance and Communication Committee and of the Audit Committee and member of the Executive Committee). He has served on the board of the United Way of the National Capital Area and spent over a decade serving the Catalogue for Philanthropy including being the Chair of the Board and he is also a founding member of the Alliance for Nonprofit Management.
A graduate of Georgetown University, Mr. Raffa has been an active member of the Alumni Admissions Program and has served as a mentor at the McDonough School of Business for more than 20 years. He was named the Georgetown Alumni Entrepreneur of the Year in 2016.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management, Founding Member
- Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, Treasurer, Chair of the Finance Committee and Executive Committee
- Social Impact 360, Founding Member and Chair of the Board
- Mental Health Coalition, Founding Member
- Park City Community Foundation, Chair of the Governance and Communication Committee and Audit Committee, Member of the Executive Committee