Tax & Business
Joe Feehan is a State and Local Tax partner in the Firm’s Boston Office. Joseph works with a diverse group of Marcum clients to proactively identify tax planning opportunities and manage risks. He advises on state income taxes impacting corporations, pass-through entities and individuals, as well as, indirect taxes such as sales and use, gross receipts, property, employment and transfer taxes.
Joe also has experience negotiating state credits and incentives and working with clients to monetize tax credits through state programs. In addition to helping clients manage state tax filing obligations, he assists clients with creating and maintaining the optimal legal entity structure from a state tax perspective. Many clients engage Joe to help prepare for the sale of a closely held business or the acquisition of a new business.
He works with his clients to maximize tax benefits and manage risk related to all stages of transactions, including matters that arise during due diligence, through closing and arise as newly acquired businesses are integrated. As a SALT specialist, Joe advises all Marcum clients, but has spent considerable time working with clients in manufacturing, pharmaceutical and life sciences, aerospace and defense, and real estate.
While based in Boston, Joe is a regular presence at Marcum’s offices in Connecticut, Maine, and Rhode Island.
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Tax Implications for Massachusetts taxpayers under the CARES Act, July 14, 2020, Patriot Ledger – Your Money
- Tax Implications for Massachusetts business and corporations under the CARES Act – July 13, 2020, Patriot Ledger – Your Money
- Federal tax changes under CARES Act – April 30, 2020, Patriot Ledger – Your Money
- The Expansion of the Short Term Rental Tax – October 19, 2019, Patriot Ledger – Your Money
- Section 199 and the Role of Tax Policy in Growing Manufacturing in Indiana, April 2013, Indiana Manufacturers Association – Tax Talk
- Tax Aspects of Restructuring Financially Troubled Companies, March 2006 – Ernst & Young LLP – Contributor
- Tax Aspects of Bankruptcy and Workouts, July 2008 – Ernst & Young LLP – Contributor
- Surfing Around The Sales Tax Byte: The Internet Tax Freedom Act, Sales Tax Jurisdiction and the Role of Congress, 12 Alb. L.J. Sic & Tech 619.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Boston Bar Association – Tax Section