Regional Advisory Partner-in-Charge
Mark Agulnik serves as the Regional Advisory Partner-in-Charge for the Southeast for Marcum. He steers the strategic growth of the advisory practice, which includes transaction support services (e.g., financial due diligence, Quality of Earnings reports, etc.) as well as business valuations, litigation support, and SOC engagements. Mark ensures a high caliber client experience for all services provided.
Mark works with high growth clients engaged on the buyer and seller sides of M&A activity and oversees due diligence engagements. He regularly assists with deals and negotiating terms as well as working closely with attorneys to draft letters of intent and purchase agreements.
He has extensive experience overseeing SOC engagements, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and implementation, internal control and internal audit, risk assessments, data security regulations, internal and external vulnerability assessments, and forensic audits. His experience extends from conducting gap analyses within a company’s IT and security environment to assisting with remediation efforts relating to compliance with various regulations/frameworks, including HIPAA, PCI, SOX, and ISO 27001, among others.
Earlier in his career, Mark served as an internal auditor for a large public company where he was significantly involved in compliance with the provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA)
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Children’s Harbor, Inc., Board of Directors and Audit Committee Member Nominating & Governance Committee, Chair (2013-2016)
- South Florida Technology Alliance, Board of Directors & Executive Committee Treasurer (past)
- Nova Southeastern University, Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship Accounting Advisory Board
- Nova Southeastern University, Huizenga College of Business & Entrepreneurship Executives & Entrepreneurs in Residence Program Mentor
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Contractual Considerations When Outsourcing, Daily Business Review, August 2020
- Cyber-terrorism, Presentation, February 2017
- Cybersecurity and Risk Management Tech Talk: Applying Lessons Learned from the Payment Card Industry Across Your Organization, November 2016
- Fighting Payment Fraud and Cyber Crime, Host and Moderator on September 2016
- Privacy in Perspective: PII & PHI Management, Webinar June 2016
- HIPAA Compliance – Privacy and Security Rules, Presented to FAU, June 2015
- SSAE16 and IT Security presentation to FICPA, February 2014
- FICPA Not-for-Profit Conference presenter on advanced topics, May 2013
- Sarbanes Oxley AS5 Audits Of Smaller Companies Teleconference