Co‑Partner‑in‑Charge, Alternative Investments
Tax & BusinessAlternative Investments, Real Estate
Maury Cartine is co-partner-in-charge of Marcum’s National Alternative Investment Group Tax Department, as well as partner-in-charge of the New York City Tax Department and a member of the International Tax Services
He advises hedge funds, private equity funds, funds of funds, real estate funds and investment advisors on complex tax and regulatory matters. Mr. Cartine is frequently called upon to provide structuring advice to new funds during the start-up phase and recurring tax and regulatory advice throughout the life of a fund.
Mr. Cartine joined the Firm in 2007, bringing a wealth of experience and expertise. He started his career at the Internal Revenue Service serving as an Internal Revenue Agent, reviewer and classroom instructor and before commencing his own commercial law practice. Thereafter, he joined an accounting firm as the head of its newly created tax department and for the next 25 years served as Principal-In-Charge of the worldwide tax practice and as the firm’s Vice President. During that period, he helped build a highly successful hedge fund and private equity fund practice, including a full-service fund administration business that was subsequently acquired by a public company.
Throughout his career, Mr. Cartine has been very involved with a number of charitable activities, serving on Boards for the United Jewish Appeal and Hedge Funds Care. Most notably, he served as the spokesperson for the municipalization of his town’s public library and contributed to the development of his town’s first two children’s playgrounds. He currently is active as an adviser to Seton Hall University serving on several boards for both the undergraduate school and the law school. In 2014, Mr. Cartine was selected to serve on the Search Committee for the new Dean of Seton Hall University School of Law.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants(NYSSCPA), Taxation of Financial Instruments & Transactions Committee, Former Chairman
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJSCPA)
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Board of Visitors
- Seton Hall University W. Paul Stillman School of Business, Board of Advisors
- Seton Hall University President’s Advisory Council
- Hedge Funds Care
- Montville Township Zoning Board of Adjustment Committee, Former Vice Chairman
- New Jersey Army National Guard, Officer
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- NYSSCPA Conferences
- NJSCPA Conferences
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Foundation for Accounting Education
- Institute for International Research
- Financial Research Associations
- Alternative Asset Summit
- The Trusted Professional
- Self-Employment Tax – Limited Partners Beware!