The Firm's Real Estate Group specializes in providing financial, tax and accounting solutions. Marcum provides a full range of services to real estate owners, developers, managers, REITs, private equity funds, institutional investors hotel owner operators and other real estate related entities.
Our expertise includes financial statement preparation, tax return preparation, tax consulting, investor reporting, accounting systems, partnership cash flow modeling and transactional services.
The Real Estate Group offers a wide range of financial, tax and accounting services tailored to meet the specific needs of the real estate industry. These services are client customized to satisfy the requirements of the real estate investor ranging from the individual real estate owner through the largest global institutional investor. Our extensive knowledge of the real estate industry combined with our expertise in the leading real estate software packages ensures that our clients maximize the value of their real estate holdings.
The professionals in the Real Estate Group have years of experience and expertise to perform at the highest level. Our partners have spent their careers building strong reputations among real estate leaders. From day one to the completion of our engagement, you'll have ongoing access to a partner who will make sure you get the comprehensive advice your investment deserves.
Our background encompasses:
- Private and public REIT's.
- Office buildings.
- Condo conversions.
- Shopping centers.
- Industrial buildings.
- Storage centers.
- Golf courses.
The Real Estate Group provides a full range of assurance, tax and consulting services to the real estate industry including private equity funds, real estate investment funds, REITs, pension advisors and private real estate companies including:
- Financial statement audits.
- Real estate investment company audits.
- Due diligence and operational agreed-upon procedures reports.
- Regulated real estate projects audit.
- Reviews and compilation.
- Special-purpose audits including operating and certiorari.
- Rule 3-14 and Rule 3-05 of SEC resolutions S-X audits.
- General ledger maintenance, invoice processing and bank reconciliations.
- Establish chart of accounts.
- Accounting department development.
- Training and oversight of accounting personnel.
- Interim staffing requirements through CFO.
- Operating expense billing and analysis.
- Review operating agreement.
- Create and maintain waterfall/promote model based on parameters in operating agreement.
- Track partner contributions and distributions.
- Calculate allocation of projected capital proceeds to partners.
External Audit Coordination
- Manage external audit process.
- Complete confirmations.
- Prepare audit work papers.
- Respond to auditor inquiries.
- Federal and state tax return preparation.
- Consultation regarding acquisition and sale, 1031 exchanges, cost segregation, debt financed distributions.
- Acquisition due diligence disposition and financing.
- Strategic investment analysis.
- Lease consulting and abstracting.
- Cash flow modeling (Argus).
- Property and portfolio purchase and sale closings.
- Customized spreadsheets and databases.
Joint Venture and Individual Property Audits
- Audits for office buildings, apartment buildings, condo conversions, hotels, shopping centers, industrial buildings, land and more. We operate in all fifty (50) states and, our ability to perform joint venture audit engagements primarily offsite provides significant savings to the owners. We also perform reviews and compilations.
Real Estate Investment Fund Audits
- Audits of real estate investment funds at fair value accounting in accordance with Investment Company guidance.
Agreed Upon Procedures
- Assisting owners and investors in monitoring their investments through implementing procedures to evaluate performance and compliance by their property manager or joint venture partners. Procedures can be tailored to focus on the high risk and key areas of concern or importance.
Rule 3-14 and Rule 3-05 of SEC Regulation S-X
- Providing audits for new acquisitions in accordance with Rule 3-14 and Rule 3-05 of Regulation S-X governing the financial statement requirements for acquired properties.
Acquisition Due Diligence
- Comprehensive due diligence including evaluation of projects, testing and review of purchase price models including Argus and NOI reviews.
- Preparation of cost segregation studies and coordination with tax group.
As the real estate market has strengthened, Long Island accountants find themselves working on more Section 1031 exchanges.
August 28, 2015
Dennis Pellecchia, Partner-in-Charge, Needham Office, Featured in New England Real Estate Journal Article, "Deductability of Payment Made in Redemption of a Recalcitrant Partner's Interest, Arising in Connection With a Dispute."
Can any part of a payment, or payments, made to settle a partners' dispute, including the redemption of a recalcitrant partner's interest, provide an ordinary ....
New IRS rules for the capitalization of expenditures relating to tangible property have particular ramifications for the real estate industry, according to Michael D'Addio, ....
2013 saw 19 REIT IPOs raising $5.7 billion in capital, including the high-publicity Empire State Building IPO, which raised $930 million.
How did the ....
In an effort to expand its real estate practice, New York City–based national accounting and advisory firm Marcum LLP has merged with Cornerstone Accounting Group, ....
Marcum is merging Manhattan-based Cornerstone Accounting Group into its operations, expanding in New York City and New Jersey.
Marcum LLP, a national accounting and advisory firm on Monday announced a merger with Cornerstone Accounting Group, an accounting and assurance firm, focused on the ....
April 22, 2013
Cornerstone Accounting Group Merges into Marcum LLP
Marcum LLP has merged in Cornerstone Accounting Group, an accounting and assurance firm that focuses on the real estate industry.