Marcum’s Insurance Industry Group provides a wide range of services to both regional carriers and large insurance groups. We also service insurance agents, MGAs, MGUs and reinsurance companies and intermediaries.
Clients include both publicly-traded and privately-held entities. In addition to traditional audit and tax services, the group’s professionals provide specialized consulting services. The group draws on the skills of numerous professionals experienced in both the insurance industry and public accounting. They possess extensive knowledge of trends and developments in the industry and are active in several professional organizations including the Captive Insurance Council of DC, the Society of Insurance Financial Managers, the AIDA Reinsurance and the Insurance Arbitrators Society. The group’s expertise includes property and casualty as well as life and health insurance companies.
Why Choose Marcum?
Over the years, Marcum has been involved in complex engagements including configuring and installing the general ledger package for an assigned risk pool operator; serving as an accounting expert to the Special Litigation Committee of the Board of Directors of two large publicly traded insurers; and preparing forecasted financial statements used by a medical malpractice carrier to complete the licensing process in two states.
- We offer clients a team approach, utilizing all the resources of our business consulting and accounting practices.
- We offer access to our established network of strategic partners, contacts, and resources within the financial, banking and professional communities.
- We have the technical expertise you value and the personal service you deserve.
- Our engagement partners and professional staff are readily available to you at all times.
- We take a flexible, practical approach to the delivery of services in the ever-changing business environment.
- We are founding members of The Leading Edge Alliance, an international group of independent accounting firms that provides us with affiliates in most major cities throughout the world.
Scope of Services
- Certified audits, both statutory & GAAP basis.
- Audits of MGAs & MGUs.
- SSAE 16 engagements.
- Employee benefit plan audits.
Accounting and Tax Services
- Federal & state income tax preparation and planning.
- Statutory financial statement preparation.
- Internal reporting.
- Budgeting and forecasting.
- Reinsurance accounting.
- Investment accounting.
- Monthly accounting services.
Surety Bond Investigations
- Financial analysis of principal.
- Claims evaluation/administration.
- Indemnity investigations/sources of recovery.
- Monitoring project progress/cost estimates.
- Litigation support/principal tax issues.
- Administration of trust/escrow accounts.
- Cash flow analysis.
- Underwriting support.
Escrow Fund Management Services
- Accounting and administration.
- Opening and maintaining bank accounts.
- Setting up client access to accounts.
- Reviewing proof of claims and determining correct payments.
- Looking beyond the payment required.
- Writing and processing checks with signatures.
- Identification of fraudulent and preferential transfers and payments.
- Returning undistributed funds.
- Accounting and internal control assessment.
- Performing monthly bank reconciliations.
- Fraud investigation.
- Escrow agent.
- Paying Agent.
- Consulting services to boards of directors.
- Accounting systems design & configuration.
- Internal Audits.
- Internal control consulting – SOX 404 & model audit rule.
- Forensic audits & litigation support services.
- Due diligence for mergers & acquisitions.
- Corporate finance & strategic planning.
- Business plans & valuations.
- Assistance with capital raises.
- Formation of captive insurance companies.
- Claims assessment services.
Fidelity Bond Investigations
- Evaluate fact patterns.
- Identify sources of information.
- Analyze financial records.
- Interview witnesses.
- Interact with law enforcement agencies.
- Assist in litigation efforts.
- Testify as expert witnesses.