Marcum’s Maritime Group is uniquely positioned to guide vessel owners, lessees, and maritime industry executives through ever-changing tax rulings. Our dedicated professional staff can provide the personal attention that is necessary to increase cash flow.
A cost segregation study produces various analyses and reports (prepared by qualified engineers, appraisers and financial advisors) that provide the support and basis for accelerating periods of depreciation.
Types of properties that are eligible for a cost segregation study:
- Ships, ocean cargo vessels.
- Truck terminals.
- Apartment buildings.
- Auto dealerships, service centers.
- Daycare centers.
- Distribution centers.
- Gas stations.
- Manufacturing facilities.
- Nursing homes.
- Office buildings.
- Retail stores & plazas.
- Increased cash flow.
- Increased depreciation in earlier years.
- Taxpayers can receive an extra 50% depreciation deduction on certain new "qualifying" assets.
- Allows for future write-offs when structural components are replaced.
- Creates losses so you can carry-back if needed and carry-forward when applicable.
- Amended tax returns do not need to be filed as the IRS has an automatic change procedure that allows taxpayers to file forms with their current tax returns and realize the benefit in one year.
- The cost of the analysis is relatively inexpensive compared to the ultimate savings.