David Appel is a senior partner in Marcum's Tax & Business Services division and National Leader of the Firm's EB-5 Investor Services Practice Group. With more than 30 years of multidisciplinary experience in domestic and international taxation, Mr. Appel focuses his practice on family business tax strategy and consulting services.
He has addressed complex issues of estate, succession and retirement planning, including family wealth preservation and transfer to future generations.
Mr. Appel heads the Firm’s Southeast Region tax consulting services group and serves on the Southeast Region Operations Committee. He is also a member of Marcum’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Appel was awarded the designation of Personal Financial Specialist by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, in recognition of his considerable experience in personal financial planning. An expert in estate tax, international tax, business succession planning and family estate planning, he has presented on numerous occasions to banking institutions and municipalities and at various tax conferences.
He also speaks frequently on a variety of topics related to the federal EB-5 Regional Center Pilot Program, which was established in 1990 to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and foreign investment in U.S. commercial enterprises. As Leader of Marcum's EB-5 Regional Center Services practice, Mr. Appel oversees a comprehensive range of accounting and regulatory compliance services for both EB-5 investors and the regional centers that administer funded projects, including management of investor reports; documentation of lawful sources of funds; design of accounting systems and internal controls; outsourced accounting services; USCIS compliance reporting; international investor tax services; independent CPA firm reporting; funds transfer accounting; review of financial pro-forma; and green card process and tax effects monitoring.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- AICPA Tax Division
- AICPA Personal Financial Planning Division
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA)
- Estate Planning Council of Greater Miami
- American Cancer Society Volunteer Leadership Board
- Best Practices for Managing the NCE Investment, EB5 Diligence Webinar, June 2016
- China: Through an Income Tax, Estate Tax, Business Planning and Immigration Laws - 2016 Step OC Conference, January 2016
- Heckerling Institute Estate Planning Conference, 2016
- Family Office Expert Panel Participant, 2015 ACG Florida Capital Connection
- EB-5 Investor Based Immigration Conference, Pincus Professional Education, October 2015
- Panelist for the South Florida Legal Guide's Financial Roundtable:The Outlook for International Real Estate Investment, September 2015
- Understanding EB-5, The Seminar Group, August 2015
- Compliance w/ Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), May 2015
- Pre-Immigration Tax Planning - Association to Invest in USA (IIUSA), San Francisco, October 2014
- 2014 China Best Ideas Investment Conference, September 2014
- Planning Your Estate Now Can Prevent Problems in the Future - South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Report, September 2014
- Source of Funds Verification and Pre-immigration Taxation: 2014 Invest in America Conference, March 2014
- EB-5 Investor Based Immigration: EB-5 From Start to Finish, PINCUS Professional Education, August 2013
- Source of Funds Verification and Pre-immigration Taxation EB-5 Investment Summit: Dealmakers Conference, May 2013
- Source of Funds Verification and Pre-immigration Taxation: 2013 Invest in America Conference, March 2013
- Articles - EB-5 Insights: How Government policy can provide Private Equity Managers with an alternative method to raise capital: Marcum Private Investments Forum, March 2013
- Source of Funds Verification and Pre-immigration Taxation National EB-5 Finance Seminar Tour with Greenberg Traurig, March 2013
- Tax Strategies for Foreign Investment, EB-5 Summit for Attorneys and Developer, February 2013
- AICPA National Conference on Financial Planning
- AICPA National Conference on Estate Planning
- Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning
Master of Business Administration,
Nova Southeastern University
Bachelor of Science, Accounting,
University of Florida
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration,
University of Florida
2006 Key Partner Award, South Florida Business Journal Accounting-General Winner
Whether you're fleeing a war-torn country or seeking a lucrative Silicon Valley tech career, it can take years to obtain permanent residency in the U.S., the ....
One of the foundations for South Florida's economy is the inbound flow of global commercial and real estate investments.
It's about to get a lot harder to buy a green card. The U.S. government runs a program that grants permanent residency to foreigners who ....
September 01, 2014
Article by David Appel, Tax & Business Services Partner, "Planning Your Estate Now Can Prevent Problems in the Future" Featured in the South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Report
No matter what your situation, there's no time like the present to make an estate plan. Whether you have young children, are retired, or have ....
David Appel, a South Florida Tax & Business Services partner at Marcum LLP and a leader in the Firm's national EB-5 Regional Center Services practice, ....