January 5, 2018

Due Dates for Business and Individual Income Taxes for the 2018 Tax Year

By Sean Fichtelman, Staff Accountant, Tax & Business Services

Due Dates for Business and Individual Income Taxes for the 2018 Tax Year Tax & Business

As the filing season for the 2017 tax year begins, it is important to remember when the applicable returns must be filed. Due dates for pass-through entities, such as partnerships and S-Corporations, are different than for filers which are C-Corporations, sole proprietorships, or single-member LLCs that report on a Schedule C.

The due date for partnership returns filing Form 1065 and S corporation returns on Form 1120S is March 15, 2018. Partnerships and S corporations that file an Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File, Form 7004, will be granted a 6-month filing extension to September 17, 2018.

Returns for calendar year C-Corporations, Schedule C sole proprietors, and single-member LLCs (owned by C-Corporations, Schedule C sole proprietors or individuals outright as rental properties) are due on April 17, 2018. These returns are normally due on April 15; however, in 2018 this date falls on a Sunday, and Monday, April 16 is a holiday in Washington, D.C. An extension may be filed on Form 7004 for C-Corporations and Form 4868 for individuals, pushing the due date six months forward to October 15, 2018. For C-Corporations on a fiscal year-end, the due date is the 15th day of the fourth month after year-end and can be extended for six months.

If you have questions about when your returns for the 2017 tax year are due, please contact your Marcum tax advisor.