Tax & Business
Michael F. D’Addio is a principal in the Firm’s New Haven, Connecticut, office. He has more than 40 years of experience as a specialist in compliance and planning in a variety of areas concerning federal and state taxation. His industry experience includes construction, real estate, research and development, professional services, and manufacturing. He has extensive experience in planning business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, business entity formations and dissolutions, and sales transactions.
Michael has developed a number of planning strategies for clients in the areas of estate and gift planning. These include the use of trusts for tax savings and asset protection.
He regularly reviews legal documents and assists other professionals in their drafting to ensure that they accomplish clients’ overall tax and economic objectives and to determine that they comply with the relevant tax authority. Based upon his clients’ unique facts, circumstances, and goals, he has devised individualized strategies designed to minimize their tax liabilities while retaining assets and income. His plans combine highly technical tax rules with the business and personal needs of clients.
Michael has represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service and other state and regulatory agencies. He has vigorously advocated client positions before various administrative levels of these taxing authorities and assisted their legal advisors in court proceedings. In addition, he has handled a variety of collection matters, including negotiation of deferred payment arrangements and Offers in Compromises. He has been involved in the preparation of government letter rulings and technical advice memoranda covering a range of tax issues.
Michael is a sought-after lecturer on a range of federal and state tax issues before client and business groups. He has been a main speaker in technical sessions for many professional organizations. In addition, he has instructed courses in the Master of Taxation program at the University of New Haven. He also conducts tax training sessions for the professional staff of the Firm.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Connecticut Bar Association sections on Taxation, Real Property and Probate
- American Bar Association sections on Taxation, Real Property and Probate
- Connecticut Estate and Tax Planning Council
- Past Chairman of the University of New Haven Planned Giving Group
- Past Member of the St. Raphael’s Hospital Planned Giving Group
- Past Member of BKR International sections on International Taxation; US Taxation; Construction and Real Property; and Valuation
- Past Chair of BKR International section on High Net-Worth Individuals/Estate and Gift Planning
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Conflict in Court Over Income Recognition for Construction Contractors, Construction Executive, June 2017
- Affordable Care Act: Record Keeping Requirements for Employers, Accubuild Users Conference, September 2015
- The ACA Meets the IRS, Long Island Business News Article, February 2015
- Changes in 2015 for Trusts and Estates.Bloomberg BNA 2015 State Tax Outlook Special Report, February 2015
- Raising the Stakes, Private Asset Management, December 2014
- The Aragona Case: A Blueprint to Avoid the Net Investment Income Tax on Trusts, Construction Accounting & Taxation, August 2014
- The Obamacare Tax Deconstructed, CNBC.com, February 2014
- Tax Realities for Self-Employed Who Get Obamacare Subsidies, Businessweek, October 2013
- Obamacare Forces Changes in Health Spending Accounts, The Hartford Business Journal, September 2013
- The Rich and Sick Taxed to Pay for Health Care Reform, TheStreet Network, September 2013
- Instructor in Master of Taxation Program at University of New Haven on Tax Accounting and Partnerships
- Presentations for tax professionals at the University of New Haven Tax Program on Annual Tax Changes, Advanced Depreciation Strategies; Advanced Partnership
- Seminars for the Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants, including annual Form 1040 Workshops; Educational Savings Strategies; S Corporation
Planning and Basis Issues
- Seminars for the Connecticut Association of Professional Accountants, including the Uniform Cost Capitalization rules
- Seminars for the New Haven County Bar Association on Partnership Issues
- Seminars for the Amity Club of New Haven
- IRS Treatment of Virtual Currencies, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, July/August 2015