Marcum’s Response to Recent Racial Injustice
As mentioned in “Thoughts of the Week” last month, George Floyd’s murder was a stark reminder of the racism that exists in this country – a reality Black Americans face every day of their lives. Marcum stands against racism in the workplace, in our communities, and in our country. At Marcum, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture that recognizes and respects all associates as equals and enables them to be successful.
To support our Black colleagues and further improve diversity and inclusion efforts, Marcum is committed to the following:
- Establishing a Diversity & Inclusion Task Force, which meets on a bi-weekly basis to bring together team members across all levels and locations of Marcum. The task force is dedicated to hosting tough conversations, to listening, and to devising solutions that Marcum and the business community can and must undertake to eradicate racism in our nation. Marcum is invested in executing a long-term strategy and plan for change.
- Encouraging the growth of Marcum’s Associate Resource Groups (ARGs), which are designed to encourage all associates to connect with one another for networking, mentorship, and professional development, based on shared interests, cultures, lifestyles, and abilities. The groups, including Black, PRIDE, and Veteran chapters, among others, support the individual experiences and perspectives that each associate offers.
- Supporting a safe space for all associates to share their thoughts, give feedback, and ask questions. We are committed to making Marcum a place of belonging, respect, and inclusion.
We encourage all associates to:
- Take advantage of the counseling resources that are available to our employees.
- Educate yourself on what the Black community has faced for generations. Take the time to read, listen, and watch anti-racism resources to deepen your understanding of unconscious bias, white fragility, talking about race, etc.
- Be there for your colleagues – connect with them through Skype or phone calls, acknowledge them, listen, show empathy, and learn how to be an effective ally.
Again, Marcum stands against racism in the workplace, in our communities, and in our country. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us stronger and enable us to learn from each other and grow together. Marcum will continue to strengthen our efforts to foster an inclusive, supportive, and diverse community on an internal and external level. We are committed to doing our part to make real change towards a more just and fair world for everyone.
Jeffrey M. Weiner
Chairman & CEO