Marcum is committed to fostering a culture that is both diverse and inclusive — one that encourages and enables all associates and partners to be successful.
A national Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Steering Committee comprised of Marcum women and men oversees a rich program of activities and initiatives implemented at the local level in the Firm’s offices across the country. Local activities and implementation of national initiatives are managed by regional D&I boards.
Insights & News
Did You Know?
Marcum was the first national accounting firm to establish a practice dedicated to serving the highly specialized needs of the LGBTQ community and others not fitting traditional definitions. Marcum’s Modern Family & LGBT Services group is nationally recognized as the thought leader in the specialty area of tax compliance and consulting services for high net worth modern families, same-sex couples, and LGBT individuals.
Leadership & Collaboration
- Industry Leadership
- Collaboration & Networking
Marcum women are active in numerous industry organizations and professional events devoted to advancing a diverse workforce, both inside and outside of the accounting profession. Marcum women have leadership roles in the following, among others:
- 1986 Club
- AICPA Women’s Global Leadership Summit
- Blue River Partners Blue Impact
- CalCPA Education Foundation Women’s Leadership Forum
- Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies Female Wave of Change
- Financial Executive Women (FEW)
- Forum of Executive Women
- George Washington University Women in Business Conference
- Healthcare Financial Management Association Women in Leadership
- HIA-LI Women Leading the Way
- Illinois CPA Society Women’s Committee
- Moxxie Network
- NYSSCPA Nassau Chapter Women’s Focus Group
- Wealth Dimensions
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA)
Marcum supports a variety organizations focused on promoting and celebrating diversity. Some of the organizations we support include:
Marcum Women's Forum
The Marcum Women’s Forum, geared towards impactful women leaders from across the business and nonprofit spectrum, features panel discussions and keynote speakers focused on women’s health and women having a voice. The forum is presented in Marcum markets across the U.S. by the Marcum Women’s Initiative.
Speakers have included these world-class women leaders:
- Barbara Bradley Baekgaard, co-founder of Vera Bradley Designs Inc.
- Erin Brokovich, environmental activist
- Chelsea Clinton, global health advocate
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, former U.S. Secretary of State
- Laura Fredricks, JD, founder & CEO of THE ASK
- Carey Lohrenz, U.S. Navy’s first female F14 fighter pilot and author of Fearless Leadership: High-Performance Lessons from the Flight Deck
- Kakenya Ntaiya, founder and director of Kakenya’s Dream
- Diane Rehm, former host of the Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio
- Jeanne Rizzo, former CEO of Breast Cancer Prevention Partners
- Melanne Verveer, director of Georgetown University’s Institute for Women, Peace and Security
Marcum Women’s Initiative
The Marcum Women’s Initiative is dedicated to the success of women at Marcum at all levels.
The program was established to invigorate a compelling work environment and enhanced career opportunities for women at the Firm, through national and local programs and activities that motivate, support, advance, retain, and reward women associates and partners along their career paths.
The initiative’s objectives are to:
- Foster an inclusive environment where women can thrive.
- Increase networking opportunities for women.
- Connect Marcum women to women in the marketplace.
- Develop mentoring relationships.
- Further the development and advancement of women.
- Provide a forum for women to share experiences and support each other in personal and professional pursuits.
- Encourage and support women throughout their development at the Firm.
Working at Marcum has allowed me explore the different types of accounting over an array of sectors. Probably the greatest benefit of working for Marcum is that every client is unique and you work with so many different people. You are never doing the same thing and you are constantly learning and growing.Alondra Ramos Staff Accountant - West Palm Beach, FL
Through the MBA program, I met some amazing people from Marcum. While everyone else was aiming for the Big Four, I saw that Marcum could offer me growth and experience. I have been here since October 2018.Kevin Millan Senior Accountant - Roseland, NJ
I came to Marcum as the result of the merger with Raffa in October 2018. One of the deciding factors for me in joining the firm was the diversity at the partner level. I loved the diversity and the opportunity for women, and loved the warmth that I sensed from the existing partners. I felt a sense of inclusion.Kimberly Robertson Partner - Washington, DC
The mix of generations in the workplace really has made our LA office more diverse and lively. There’s a certain way we treat each other on a personal level that feels like having a second family or a set of good friends, while still having professional respect for everyone.Merryl Rabaino Manager - Los Angeles, CA
I started my career at a Big Four firm. Then I went into private and got bored reconciling books month after month. I have been at Marcum for 10 years. There is a lot of variety and flexibility and I am constantly learning. Every day is a challenge and I love it!Kristin Barishian Director - Boston, MA
If you are looking to begin your career at a firm that will give you the experience you can get at the Big Four, but with a better work-life balance, Marcum is where you want to be. Marcum provides a positive work environment that has plenty of room to grow and advance your career, with partners and managers who will encourage and guide you along.Jennifer Chang Supervisor - Melville, NY