Marcum is committed to fostering a culture that is both diverse and inclusive — one that encourages and enables all associates and partners to be successful.
A national Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Steering Committee comprised of Marcum women and men oversees a rich program of activities and initiatives implemented at the local level in the Firm’s offices across the country. Local activities and implementation of national initiatives are managed by regional D&I boards.
Did You Know?
Marcum was the first national accounting firm to establish a practice dedicated to serving the highly specialized needs of the LGBTQ community and others not fitting traditional definitions. Marcum’s Modern Family & LGBT Services group is nationally recognized as the thought leader in the specialty area of tax compliance and consulting services for high net worth modern families, same-sex couples, and LGBT individuals.
Leadership & Collaboration
- Industry Leadership
- Collaboration & Networking
Marcum women are active in numerous industry organizations and professional events devoted to advancing a diverse workforce, both inside and outside of the accounting profession. Marcum women have leadership roles in the following, among others:
- 1986 Club
- AICPA Women’s Global Leadership Summit
- Blue River Partners Blue Impact
- CalCPA Education Foundation Women’s Leadership Forum
- Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies Female Wave of Change
- Financial Executive Women (FEW)
- Forum of Executive Women
- George Washington University Women in Business Conference
- Healthcare Financial Management Association Women in Leadership
- HIA-LI Women Leading the Way
- Illinois CPA Society Women’s Committee
- Moxxie Network
- NYSSCPA Nassau Chapter Women’s Focus Group
- Wealth Dimensions
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA)
Marcum supports a variety organizations focused on promoting and celebrating diversity. Some of the organizations we support include:
Marcum Women's Forum
The Marcum Women’s Forum, geared towards impactful women leaders from across the business and nonprofit spectrum, features panel discussions and keynote speakers focused on women’s health and women having a voice. The forum is presented in Marcum markets across the U.S. by the Marcum Women’s Initiative.
Speakers have included these world-class women leaders:
- Barbara Bradley Baekgaard, co-founder of Vera Bradley Designs Inc.
- Erin Brokovich, environmental activist
- Chelsea Clinton, global health advocate
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, former U.S. Secretary of State
- Laura Fredricks, JD, founder & CEO of THE ASK
- Carey Lohrenz, U.S. Navy’s first female F14 fighter pilot and author of Fearless Leadership: High-Performance Lessons from the Flight Deck
- Kakenya Ntaiya, founder and director of Kakenya’s Dream
- Diane Rehm, former host of the Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio
- Jeanne Rizzo, former CEO of Breast Cancer Prevention Partners
- Melanne Verveer, director of Georgetown University’s Institute for Women, Peace and Security
Marcum Women’s Initiative
The Marcum Women’s Initiative is dedicated to the success of women at Marcum at all levels.
The program was established to invigorate a compelling work environment and enhanced career opportunities for women at the Firm, through national and local programs and activities that motivate, support, advance, retain, and reward women associates and partners along their career paths.
The initiative’s objectives are to:
- Foster an inclusive environment where women can thrive.
- Increase networking opportunities for women.
- Connect Marcum women to women in the marketplace.
- Develop mentoring relationships.
- Further the development and advancement of women.
- Provide a forum for women to share experiences and support each other in personal and professional pursuits.
- Encourage and support women throughout their development at the Firm.
Working at a firm like Marcum lets me offer prospects so many different areas of expertise - whether it's tax credits like Research and Development or Worker Opportunity credits.Jill Scher Partner, Tax & Business - Melville, NY
Being able to collaborate on a diverse team is a great experience. Everyone has an equal opportunity to contribute, and bringing different perspectives to the table adds the most value for clients.Jose Antigua Director, IT Risk & Assurance - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have been working at Marcum for over three years. I’m so happy I joined a firm who truly invests in their employees. Marcum has an exceptional training program and is very dedicated to developing their team.Heather Santonino Director, Tax & Business - Melville, NY
Within my first three months at Marcum, I have been able to expand my knowledge of accounting and professional development beyond what I anticipated.Nicholas Martin Supervisor, Assurance - Miami, FL
I am a flex-time, part-time professional for Marcum. I am proud to be entering my fifth year as a supervisor in the Assurance Department who gets to work on a variety of companies in different industries.Reema Shah Supervisor, Assurance - Costa Mesa, CA