Ed Waddington is a partner in Marcum’s Philadelphia office and a member of the Valuation, Forensic and Litigation Services Practice. He came to Marcum in 2015 via the Firm’s merger with Smart Devine, (formerly Nihill & Riedley, PC) a leading full service accounting firm in Philadelphia.
Ed has over 38 years as a consulting and testifying expert on forensic accounting matters. He has advised clients on financial and tax reporting in addition to representing a wide range of individuals and businesses in litigated financial disputes and civil and criminal investigations. His experience managing a traditional accounting and tax practice of closely-held entrepreneurial businesses has provided technical expertise and transactional insight to effectively investigate civil and criminal financial disputes involving tax controversies, business valuations, commercial damages and professional malpractice actions.
Since 1986, Ed has testified as an expert in accounting and tax issues, commercial damages and business valuations in United States District Courts; Delaware Court of Chancery; Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas; Superior Court of New Jersey Chancery Division; Supreme Court of the State of New York; United States Tax Court; United States Bankruptcy Court; Pennsylvania Board of Revenue and Finance and various arbitration and administrative proceedings.
Ed speaks frequently at industry conferences, and has continuously been involved with numerous civic and charitable organizations. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Trustees for The Library Company of Philadelphia and Archbishop Wood High School. In 2019, he received the Michael A. DeAngelis award from LaSalle University in recognition of his outstanding achievements in the accounting profession.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
- The Library Company of Philadelphia – Trustee (2014 – Present)
- Archbishop Wood High School – Board Member (2019 – Present)
- Bucks County Opportunity Council – Audit Committee (2015 – Present)
- LaSalle University Alumni Association – Treasurer (2006 – 2016)
Articles, Seminars & Presentations
- Retirement Plans and The SECURE Act 2.0, AAML Pa Chapter, July 2023
- Criiminal Tax Investigation, Marcum – National Training, October 2022
- 15 Common Errors in Valuations, Blank Rome CLE, May 2021
- Valuation Considerations Valuing Privately Held Companies, Marcum’s Libation and Legal Education, January 2020
- Business Valuations – An Overview, Legal Education, January 2020
- Daubert & Frye Motions, National Valuation & Litigation Support Conference, November 2019
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – Impact on Business Valuation, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Valuation and Forensic Accounting Conference, November 2018
- Crypto Currency, Marcum’s National Valuation and Litigation Support Conference, October 2018
- Interface with Criminal Tax Lawyer, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Forensics and Litigation
Conference, November 2017
- Valuations in Healthcare, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants – Healthcare Conference, June 2012
- Net Operating Loss Carrybacks, The Eastern Bond Claims Review – Surety Fidelity Seminar, May 2012
- “Financial Damage Measurement: A Refresher,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 2018
- “Understanding the Criminal Tax Plea Agreement, “The Legal Intelligencer, October 2017
- “Fair Value in Pennsylvania Shareholder Actions,” Marcum Forensic Files, July 2016