President & CEO – Coordinated Transportation Solutions
Coordinated Transportation Solutions (CTS) seeks an experienced, dynamic executive to lead the company’s growth and impact, partnering with customer organizations and brokering high quality transportation services for non-emergency medical and other trips for hundreds of thousands of individuals each year.
Founded in 1997, CTS has put people first, forming strong partnerships with its customers, the people it serves, its transportation provider network, and community stakeholders. CTS builds relationships through mutual respect and a shared objective to maximize transportation opportunities in the communities it serves at the least possible cost.
Transportation is an economic and social factor that shapes people’s daily lives and, thus, a social determinant of health. CTS’ continuum of integrated services is designed to address the unique transportation challenges posed by programs serving at-risk populations in rural, urban, and suburban environments.
Partnering with over 100 healthcare, education, veterans, and business organizations nationwide, with a concentration in New England and the Mid-Atlantic, CTS contracts, credentials, and monitors a network of nearly 400 commercial transportation companies to provide services. CTS offers transportation services for non-emergency medical, the social drivers of health, workers’ compensation, special education, veterans’ trips, transportation consulting, and mobility management services.
CTS incorporates existing community transportation resources including public transit agencies and LYFT into a highly efficient and cost-effective network equipped to address various transportation needs. CTS’ state-of-the-art, person-centric IT infrastructure and telecommunications systems ensure contractual compliance, the lowest costs of transportation, and advanced quality management practices. CTS has earned the prestigious URAC accreditation for Health Care Management 2.0 by setting high standards for consumer protections, performance measurement, operations infrastructure, and risk management.
Transportation for Healthcare: CTS coordinates professional transportation services for individuals receiving Traditional Medicaid benefits, Managed Long Term Supports and Services and Medicare advantage plans. Our clients include State Departments of Social Services Managed Care Organizations, Health Care Facilities and Hospitals.
Transportation for Veterans: CTS developed and piloted a first-in-the-nation managed transportation program for two Veteran’s Administration Medical Centers in New England in 2020. CTS transports beneficiaries to essential medical appointments in the community and at VA Medical Centers.
Transportation for Students: School districts in multiple states entrust CTS with managing student transportation for children with special needs. CTS and its transportation providers are committed to meeting the unique and specific transportation needs of children and youth who are living with disabilities or are in homeless situations by helping them experience the educational stability needed to attain life goals.
Transportation for Workers’ Compensation: CTS manages a nationwide program of transportation services that is designed to improve access to healthcare services for injured workers.
A 501(c)3 nonprofit, CTS is governed by an engaged and highly accomplished 9-member board of directors. The organization’s 2023 budget is $112 million, including $85M in managed transportation services and nearly $20M in administrative/internal operations expenses, and anticipated year-over-year growth of 25%. CTS employs a 260-person staff that includes a group of transportation and healthcare professionals in Operations, Compliance, Provider Relations, Account Management, Care Management, IT, Human Resources & Diversity, Finance, and Growth and Communications. Staff can be found in 10 different states working in both a hybrid and on-site capacity. CTS is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion throughout its staff, on its Board and in the services it provides.
CTS’ President, CEO, and Founder, David L. White, will retire in the Spring of 2023. For more information, please visit https://www.ctstransit.com
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President & CEO provides strategic leadership inside and outside the organization. The President & CEO works with a six-person Executive Leadership Team (ELT) that includes: The Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief of Growth and Communications, Chief of Service Delivery, Chief of Account Management, and the Chief of Human Resources and Diversity.
The new President & CEO will inherit a talented staff as well as a robust and vital transportation program serving hundreds of thousands of individuals each year and poised for significant growth. In the first 12 – 18 months, the President & CEO will focus on the following priorities:
- Understand CTS’ business model and the current and future industry trends
- Engage in and sustain relationships externally with current client leadership; identify and cultivate new client relationships and potential strategic partnerships
- Provide strategic business development leadership to continually build the pipeline in support of growth goals
- Build relationships internally with Board, Executive Leadership Team, and staff
- Manage infrastructure investments in technology platforms and human resources to support CTS’ near- and long-term growth goals
- Understand the current strategic vision for CTS and partner with the staff and Board to build future long-range plans to support the future strategic vision.
The President & CEO provides leadership and successfully manages the following responsibilities:
Strategic Direction & Growth:
- Develop and sustain CTS’ strategic direction and impact.
- Serve as the organization’s leader across internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead process to develop high quality business strategies and plans; ensure their alignment with short- and long-term objectives
- Promote the growth of the organization and develop new products and sources of revenue, in partnership with Business Development staff.
- Develop and uphold the company’s culture and values.
- Maintain and foster current external relationships and develop new relationships with potential partners
- Serve as primary contact with the Board of Directors
- Lead, motivate and partner with the executive leadership team and senior leaders to implement strategic plans and advance employee motivation and effectiveness,
Enterprise Leadership & Risk Management:
- Provide company-wide leadership and supervision
- Lead business retention and development efforts.
- Lead, monitor and manage the development of strategic and operating business plans including annual operating and capital budgets
- Provide leadership and accountability for the financial performance of the company
- Partner with the ELT and manage budgetary, human resources, program quality and performance standards
- Manage and assess the organization’s compliance with not-for profit governance requirements and risk management activities.
Skills and Attributes
Successful candidates for this position will share a commitment to CTS’s mission and values and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes, including:
- 7+ years of top-level management experience in a nonprofit or private company or business unit of a similar scale and complexity.
- Experience in healthcare, healthcare plans, or managed care organizations, including experience with Medicaid, Medicare, and Veterans’ programs
- Transportation experience a plus
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships and strategic alliances
- Proven success in business development, strong customer service experience
- Excellent communicator, strong presentation skills, active listener, and strategic negotiator
- Innovative mindset, open to challenges and new models for sustainable growth
- Sophisticated understanding of technology and data intelligence
- Collaborative and empowering management style
- Respected, trustworthy, accountable
- Education and/or professional experience commensurate with the requirements of the position.
The Board has set the initial salary range for this position at $265,000 – $315,000. The position is also bonus eligible. CTS offers a generous benefit package, including health, vision, dental, disability, and life insurance; a 403b retirement plan with company matching, and paid leave (time off, holidays, personal and other). Employment offer is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, and monthly compliance checks to verify the individual is not identified in the following two federal databases/lists: Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and System Award Management (SAM).
The position is based in the Trumbull, CT office and is eligible for a hybrid work structure. CTS estimates the CEO engages in local (New England/MidAtlantic) and national travel approximately 15% of time; access to reliable transportation is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CTS is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, on-the-job injury, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that employers are prohibited by law from considering.
To apply, upload a Word/PDF resume and cover letter that conveys your interest in this leadership opportunity by clicking here. For other inquiries, contact Catrese Brown. No additional application materials will be reviewed at this time. Resume reviews begin immediately.