Tax & Business
Jill Scher is a partner in the Tax & Business Services division of Marcum LLP in the Melville office and is a business developer for the Firm. With more than 25 years of public and private experience, she has an outstanding reputation for developing strong relationships and uses her diverse experience, technical proficiency, and problem-solving skills to consult with a wide range of businesses and industries.
Ms. Scher advises on tax minimization and deferral strategies for companies and their owners and is adept at recognizing tax and credit incentive opportunities, including research & development, work opportunity tax credits, and investment tax credits, to name a few. She advises clients about tax ramifications prior to potential transactions and has helped clients with the successful abatement of IRS and State penalties.
In addition, Ms. Scher has developed a specialty in the cannabis space, assisting companies with technology solutioins and tax planning, and helping to forge relationships within the industry. Ms. Scher takes pride in assisting her network of resources within and outside of the Firm, in all aspects of client needs.
She shares this knowledge through frequent speaking engagements, appearing at professional and industry events on a variety of business and tax topics. Ms. Scher also teaches tax, technical and professional ethics classes for an outside organization, CPE, Inc., providing continuing education to CPAs within the tri-state area on individual and business tax planning and other specialty areas of taxation.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Former Chair, Nassau Chapter Attorney and Accountant Networking Committee
- Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe, Executive Finance Committee
- Long Island Capital Alliance, Board Member
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Benzinga Capital Conference, Chicago: The Opportunity in Responsibility, 2022
- Benzinga Capital Conference, Miami: Nuances of the Cannabis Debt Market, 2022
- Burns & Levinson State of the Cannabis Industry: Women Executives in Cannabis, 2022
- Hampton CanXpo: Accounting, Tax and Transactions in the Cannabis Industry, 2022
- Elevate Your Grind and Cannabis LAB: Accounting/Tax Issues in Cannabis, 2022
- Propelify Innovation Festival: R&D Tax Credits for Innovation Companies, 2022
- Schneps Media: NY Gets a Green Light for Cannabis, 2022
- The Arcview Group, CA: Women in the Cannabis Industry, 2022
- The Arcview Group, Miami: Planting Seeds Pitch Competition, 2022
- The Arcview Group, NYC: How to Prep for the Exit, 2022