About M. Ali
M. Ali Ansari is a director in the Advisory Services Division. He has over 25 years of experience in forensic accounting and has worked extensively in litigation consulting and advisory services for clients with revenues ranging from the thousands to the multi-millions. He has directed multiple engagements in all facets of fraud investigations, contract disputes, risks and risk management, internal controls, internal audit, regulatory consulting, AML look-backs and FCPA investigations, asset and expense tracing, due diligence, white-collar crime investigations, whistleblower cases, and economic damage analysis.
He is an accomplished speaker in risk management, internal audit and forensic accounting to various professional groups and a former guest lecturer at Florida Atlantic University. He has conducted internal audit training for financial institutions and conducts courses in the areas of ethics, internal audit, litigation consulting, and other subjects for CLE credits at various law firms. He is a former president of TiE Florida and former board member of the Florida ACFE chapter. He is well versed in IT systems, including creating proprietary models as part of testimony in various litigation cases as an expert witness, as well as process flows in creating, developing and executing risk management systems and initiatives, within the U.S. and other parts of the world.
Representative Case Experience
- Led a team of forensic accountants representing insurance and reinsurance companies in various large and complex insurance claims related to the 9/11 disaster. Facilitated in the mediation to review complex analysis of claims from various financial institutions impacted by the disaster. This analysis required understanding and interpretation of banking and securities laws to calculate and review multi-million-dollar claims of more than 30 large financial institutions.
- Directed an engagement of a $220 million hedge fund collapse and advised the court-appointed trustee on various SEC infractions, resulting in multi-million dollar fines and settlements, providing damage analysis for the courts, and locating misappropriated funds.
- Conducted and assisted a large financial institution in a foreclosure review program required by regulators under a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA).
- Conducted Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) compliance and gap analysis for a large European-based multinational bank, established governance and compliance program for their operations in U.S., Europe, Middle East and Asia.
- Conducted a top-down review of AML compliance at a multi-national financial institution as part of a consent decree with both the OCC and FRB.
- Headed a team representing a large Chicago bank investigating loan fraud by a hotel developer with projects in 11 states and properties under development in excess of $110 million.